Ms. Compy Fix-It here, and I’m in a great mood. I managed to resolve an issue I encountered yesterday which has been bugging me since. That’s a long time for me to be perplexed. 🙂
Without further ado, my issue was this:
- I go to send a meeting invite in Microsoft Outlook 2007, and it gets stuck in my Outbox
- I could send e-mail just fine
- Timestamps showed under the Sent column in the Outbox for regular e-mail, but the meeting invites just showed “None“, indicating I could wait all I wanted but it had no intention of sending……
- Neither time, nor restarting, nor re-opening and re-sending, could make these meeting invites get out of my Outbox
- I went to cancel the meeting invite, and the cancellation got sent to the invitees! (How random….. and awkward)
- Even deleting the meeting would send the cancellation notice to the invitees
- This occurred several times as I tried different things…… causing frustration and embarrassment as I’m sure it looked like I was insane (“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – good ol’ Einstein)
I researched. And researched. And pondered. And researched again.
And then I found a clue. On a few sites, they’d mentioned a Norton Antivirus add-in was the cause of their troubles, but I don’t have Norton so I knew that couldn’t be it. But one site mentioned:
Tip 1116: Meeting invitations are stuck in the Outbox | Outlook Tips
If you are having a problem with your mail not sending but aren’t using Norton Antispam, check your add-ins. Other antivirus and antispan add-ins, as well as iCloud, have been known to cause problems sending Outlook items.
Hmmmm…….. well I first had to search how to get to my add-ins – they’re not something I play around with too much. From Outlook’s own Help file (Wait, what? You mean it was actually helpful? It’s a miracle!):
Enable or disable add-ins in Office programs
On the Tools menu, click Trust Center, and then click Add-ins.
Great, easy enough. So I get a list of my add-ins and realize – I recently downloaded Evernote for Windows! I’m not sure why it took me so long to remember that, but I suspect frustration blindness had taken over. 😉 Anywho, I disabled the two Evernote add-ins, and voilà! It works again. So be aware that if you’re suddenly running into an issue of Outlook sending e-mails but not your meeting invites, check your add-ins!
Ms. Compy Fix-It 🙂